Cacao is rich in antioxidants, iron, magnesium, manganese, zinc, copper, calcium, phosphorus, beta carotene, and amino acids. In the ancient Mayan culture, it has been an integral part of the diet, complementary to corn. It can be consumed as a ceremonial beverage or mixed with other foods. Together, this unique mixture of compounds allows for simultaneous relaxation and alertness, heightened awareness, and creativity. By stimulating the heart center, cacao further aids in creating a sense of openness for expansion and Love.
Use one of our ceremonial cacao, perfectly processed for this drink.
In Guatemala, we like to use honey or panela. Honey may add extra medicinal value to your drink. We recommend any type of unprocessed sugar.
Herbs & Mushrooms
Ramon (Mayan superfood)
How to make a cup of ceremonial cacao
- Measure one mug of water for each dose of cacao. Add to a pot and apply heat.
- Heat water BELOW boiling temperature (high heat denatures the medicinal compounds of cacao).
- Finely chop 28-42 g (1 – 1.5 oz) of cacao and add it to the hot water.
- Additional complementary flavors include ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, tahini, cayenne pepper, salt, and honey. Add these to your hot cacao mixture.
- Mix cacao thoroughly. This can be done with a blender, a whisk, or by shaking a tightly sealed jar.
- Enjoy your cacao in ceremonial space. Set intentions and bless before drinking.
Health Properties of Cacao
- The highest level of antioxidants compared to all other food sources. Antioxidants assist in eliminating free radicals in the body, which reduces stress levels.
- Offers a sustainable source energy, theobromine, which is similar to caffeine, but more calm. This stimulates an awakened sense in your whole body that lasts for a few hours without symptoms of coming down.
- Elevates the heart rate (up to 20%!). This stimulation of the heart will lead to a deeper sense of love and well-being emanating from your whole body.
- Is full of minerals necessary for a healthy body: calcium, magnesium, zinc, iron, beta-carotene, omega 6 fatty acids, and amino acids.
- Mood elevating compounds anandamide and tryptophan allow you to access deeper states of euphoria and relaxation.
- Drinking or eating cacao is in of itself pleasurable, relaxing, and uplifting!